In this quiet little place...

Proverbs 31:25-26&30

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Dan sent this to me. And I liked it. So, here:

Ears are for iPods
by John Fischer
Do you ever wonder how much God knew about what would become of what he made when he first made us? I mean, did he know that little dip in the bottom of my ears would work perfectly with my iPod earphones so they would stay put while I jog? What about drinking Starbucks latte on the go? Do you suppose he knew my lips would wrap nicely around that little hole in the lid and my tongue would allow me to let through a sip at a time so as not to burn my whole mouth?
I know this sounds a bit silly, but I actually find it easier to believe this and a whole bunch of other unbelievable stuff about God and myself than to do the heavy lifting of leaving God out of the equation. God had to know about stuff like this when he made us if he is God.
Which means he had to know about war, disease, calamity, terror, abuse, and all manner of evil, too. And how do you reconcile any of this with the idea of a kind, loving, and compassionate God? Not very easily. In fact, I’ll go so far as to say not at all. I can’t reconcile stuff like this. But just because I can’t make sense of the world doesn’t mean he can’t either. You see, God is not bound by my judgments. He never asked for my counsel. He didn’t check in with me before he made the world the way it is, and a big part of believing in God is accepting the fact that he is God and I am not.
Now don’t get me wrong. This doesn’t at all mean I don’t still try to get answers to questions like this, nor does it mean I just blindly accept what happens as God’s will and blow off my own human reactions. In fact, if God is God, then he made me with a questioning mind, and why did he do that if he wanted me to just blindly trust him? No, he must have wanted to interact with the process in some way. He must have wanted the give and take, push and pull of a relationship, or else, why did he do this?
Here is my conclusion, at least so far. More than he wants us to follow him, he wants us to have a relationship with him. More than blind obedience, he wants conversation. He’ll even get down on the mat and wrestle with us if that’s what we need. God made us for himself and none of us will rest until we are one with him. That is where we belong, and pretty much whatever it takes to get there is worth it.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger Elbow said...

I like it as well...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home