In this quiet little place...

Proverbs 31:25-26&30

Friday, March 31, 2006

The latest really stupid thing I did.

Last night, I went out with some friends to Shakespeare's Pub, a local bar. I had a typical chocolate martini and, also typical, raspberri stoli's with sprite. However, my new friend Dan then bought us all a shot of Goldschlagger and something cinnamoney and to this I attribute the following stupidity...

Let me first state that my friend Amanda has talked me into running the Chicago Marathon with her in the fall. I'm excited about doing it and meant to register yesterday, but ran out of time. Our friend Brian has also decided to do it, and happened to be out with us last night. At about 3am, we headed over to the aforementioned Dan's apartment, which was very cool by the way. At any rate, at this ridiculous hour, I decided that the best idea was to register both Brian and I for the Chicago Marathon right then and there. I convinced Brian that this was a good idea too, even though he disagreed. I am a very good convincer. So I did just that. I registered both of us for the Chicago Marathon- a 26.2 mile run- at 3:00 in the morning.

Around 4am, I headed home and proceeded to check my email because I am addicted to my email, blog, myspace, and facebook. I'm working on it. At any rate, I checked my email. In my account, I had two registration emails. Two you say? Yes...curiously two. As I read though them, it hits me that I have somehow registered myself and then... myself again... but with half of the information Brian's... Now, let me here state that the information that was written in Brian's that was incorrect I DISTINCTLY remember writing CORRECTLY when I filled out the form. I don't care what kind of shot that was, I'm certain that I would never have thought that Brian had the same name, email address, birthdate, and, most importantly, gender, as myself. However, sure enough, there the information was before me, complete with his address, shirt size, etc. I had registered myself twice for the Chicago Marathon.

At this point, I could no longer force myself to sit up anymore, and fell directly to sleep, where I proceeded to have nightmares all night about how the registration people weren't going to let me change the information and I was going to have to foot the bill for Brian to register again, with the correct information. I even got up three times to try to fix it on the computer, but to no avail.

The next morning, I called Amanda to ask her what to do. She laughed at me. I called my friend Monica who was also there last night to ask her what to do. She laughed at me. When I was in the shower, Brian called and said that Monica told him what happened. He laughed at me. I have rude friends.

As it happened, I was finally able to email and then receive a phone number to call the registration company and they fixed the error in approximately 1 minute. Unfortunately, it is becoming apparent to me that this story is going to fall into the category of "Hey Sara- Where's your cell phone?", another stupid thing I did once and neccessitates a much longer blog than I'm willing to deal with right now. It mostly involves a toilet after a night similar to last. Anyway, Brian said that he thinks we should get shirts made up to wear on the day of the race that say, "I registered for this at 3am when I was drunk" which is amusing now, since the problem is fixed.

Please learn from my mistake. I would like to think of this as an error that has potential to help others. So, to all of you reading, the moral of the story is this: Never, never register for a marathon after consuming alcohol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home