In this quiet little place...

Proverbs 31:25-26&30

Saturday, December 31, 2005

About Nail and Hair Salons.

Happy New Year! Whatever that means. But I wish you the best of it. For my last post of 2005, I would like to discuss a pet peeve of mine. We will call this: On the Naming of Hair and Tanning Salons.

Consider these names of actual tanning salons near me: We're So Tan and Color Me Tan. I wish I could say that I was joking. We're So Tan. Is it supposed to sound like you're bragging? And why do I have to get roped in with everyone else who tans there? Is it some kind of tanning club that you enter into when you go there and ooooooh- are we TANNER than YOU! And Color Me Tan? I don't even know what to say about that. Maybe it's supposed to be like that phrase- what is it... Something like "Well color me pink!" that people said in the early 1900's or something? I don't know what that phrase means either, but I bet if I asked the namer of Color Me Tan what the crap THAT'S supposed to mean, I wouldn't get a clear answer either. My friend Brent's mom owns a tanning salon called Aruba Tan. Why can't they all just have sensible names like that? We're So Tan... Honestly.

On the subject of names, hair salon names have the same obnoxious effect on me. I am absolutely positive that there is no rule stating that names of hair salons must have some type of clever twist to them that plays on the word hair, most of which don't have anything to DO with cutting hair. For example: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow. While I am simply blown clear across the room with the sheer wit of this name, it has absolutely nothing to do with cutting hair. I suppose you could say that the hair was there until it was cut off and then it was gone, but I also bet that if you asked the creater of this name if that was his/her intention, you would get a blank stare in return. Second example: A Hair Raising Experience. This implies a terrifying situation. Which hair cuts should not be. Thus, it should technically be deterring customers. Absurd choice. Others: A Hairy Situation, Hair's to You, etc. If I had a hair salon, I'd probably just name it Hair Cut Place.

4 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Lola said...

There's a hair place by me named "Curl Up and Dye". Yeah, I'm going to put my hair in your hands when you name your salon something like that. Hair places should be named something that has nothing to do with hair, like someone's name.
I hate that We're So Tan place too. What were they thinking?

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know of a place called Cuutie Cuts. First of all, I think that sounds like some place to take your dog for grooming. What makes it worse, is that they advertise it as a place for mens' haircuts. What guy wants to go to a place called CUUTIE Cuts! I have a hard enough time acknowledging the word cute as a part of my vernacular.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Lola- Curl up and Dye is absurd. Give me their address immediately and I will write and insist that they change it. Maybe to: "Get your hair curled and dyed here." That's catchy.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Cory- I have seen Cuutie Cuts. When I drive by this atrocity I too wonder why a guy would ever go there. It looks like a place to get little kids' hair cut and the sign says something about a salon for fun adults. I hate that place. I just hate it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home